As we enter fall and winter, one of my favorite things is to snuggle up and sip delicious hot beverages. Hot chocolate has been a longtime favorite of mine but I recently discovered Turmeric Milk, Golden Milk, or Turmeric Hot Toddy’s – as I’ve seem them called online. The benefits of consuming turmeric are numerous and the mild taste when combined with other herbs and spices has become mmm…. crave worthy.
Benefits of Turmeric for cold and flu:
– Boosts immune system, helping to prevent colds and flu
– When consumed regularly (this is key), it fights infection in the stomach and intestinal tract
– The CAMP (cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide) levels are increased with consumption of turmeric, which is what helps the immune system, similar to the way Vitamin D improves the immune system.
Special tip: A pinch of pepper (piperine) activates compounds in turmeric that make it more effective and readily absorbed by the body. Adding a small amount of fat/oil also increases turmeric’s absorption into the body.
Recipe for Turmeric Toddy:
- 1 cup of milk of choice. I use coconut or almond milk and rely on the fat content for best absorption of turmeric.
- 1/2 – 1 tsp of groud turmeric depending on taste.
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 tsp of honey
Tasty add ons: cinnamon stick or powder, cardamom, 1 tsp of clarified butter, or 1 tsp of coconut oil.
Slowly warm milk on stovetop. Add turmeric, pepper and honey and stir. Serve when it starts to steam, not boil. The turmeric will sink to the bottom, leaving a bit of a sludge. Keep stirring this back into the milk as you drink so you don’t get a lot of gunk in your last sip. Don’t worry about drinking it all, you will still reap the benefits of the turmeric that has steeped into the milk. You can also blend and warm this mixture in a Vitamix. Be careful of spills, turmeric STAINS like crazy!
*Studies cited in hyperlinks above.
*I also have prepared this recipe in the microwave, with good results. I also buy organic when possible, especially dry herbs to reduce the possibility of pesticides and other contaminants.
*If you are using the listed medications, you will need to avoid turmeric: